BREAK DOWN OF THE MODERN JOURNEY:
- Demand creation / Problem awareness: Your buyer realizes they need a solution for a problem. This could be through facing a challenge directly, marketing content of a vendor, industry chatter, word of mouth, sales outreach etc.
- Solution awareness: B2B buyers become aware of the right solutions by the following ways:
- Peer recommendations
- Organic Search
This leads to shortlisting of a few solutions
- Validation: The shortlisted solutions are validated by the following ways:
- Asking friends / colleagues / users
- Review sites and analyst recommendations
- Social media search
- Conversion: They search you up directly on google and come inbound to have a sales call.
Difference between Modern and Traditional:
The B2B buying process is complex and the user behavior on the internet has evolved with the evolution and maturity of the internet.
We need to understand that high ticket items are not purchased just because we show someone an ad.
Traditional funnel journey results in a very conversion based approach which might still be good for B2C low ticket purchase, but when it comes to enterprise B2B SaaS solutions, which can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, that is simply not how buyers buy.
When we demand gen according to the modern journey, we not only sell more but we lower our CAC by driving more word of mouth.
We need to use our marketing to complement the buying journeys instead of manipulating them so that we can build trust, help customers and be seen as a true customer centric business solution.